{STORY SERIES ZONE}••• THE WHITE WIZARD PART (3) ©Ethicsloaded

The following morning Eléwì left Ìgbëtì carrying a bundle with him. His wife, Etíyürí, had cried all night when he told her of his intention to embark on a long adventure. She had knelt down before him and entreated him to be patient and leave his future and fortune in the hands of the gods. He had refused to listen to her pleas, asking her to look for another man if she wouldn’t wait for him to return.
“I’ll wait for you...,” she had said, still sobbing between his arms.
“I’ll return to rule the land of my ancestors... Alápó is on my side. The gods, too, will not fail me.”
“My heart is heavy with despair. I fear for the hardship you’ll go through. I beg you to take a horse with you.”
“No! I shall deny myself all pleasures of life,” Eléwì had said aloud. “I have never had a taste of my own sweat since I was born; this is my chance.”
For seven days he travelled through the jungle. He fared well and reached Ìpetu, the first settlement he saw after leaving Ìgbëtì. But the town was so small compared to Ìgbëtì. He spent only two nights in the town and continued his journey. He travelled past several other small towns before reaching Ayégún where he was fortunate enough to meet Amòye, a very old man. He learnt quickly that the old man was a renowned sage.
Amòye was well–versed in legends, creation myths, fables and folklores. He could solve any riddle within a blink of an eye. Though Eléwì concealed his true identity the sage received him with open arms.
As Amòye’s servant, Eléwì ran errands and worked on the sage’s farms and orchards. He had tilled and laboured for three years before the sage offered to share his knowledge with him. Still, he concealed his true identity.
Amòye was alone inside his orchard one evening, staring in reflective silence. Suddenly he shrugged on his seat as though an idea had occurred to him. Raising his voice, he called out to Eléwì and the latter came running into the orchard and sat on a stool.
“You have spent seven years in my house, yet it appears to me as if you are not what you called yourself. I remember you called yourself an orphan,” Amòye said after clearing his throat.
“That is true, my lord,” Eléwì said, a little jittery.
“I have watched you closely for seven years. There is something royal in the manners you speak, eat and drink.... Have you served under a king or a tribal chieftain?”
“No, my lord. You taught me all I know about kings.”
“Well, in the last two years you have shown so much interest in stories that teach virtues and vices of kings and warriors. Do you dream to become any of these?”
Eléwì shrugged and moved uneasily on his seat. The sage’s questioning stare was giving him the jolt.
“My lord, you once told me of an orphan who went through great trials and became king.... I dream of such a fate.”
Amòye paused, watching the young man with renewed interest.
“But the orphan learnt of the supernatural,” he reminded Eléwì. “He went through several mortal adventures but enjoyed the support of a powerful wizard.... The wizard, remember, saw the orphan to the throne.”
“Then a king needs wisdom and great powers behind him,” Eléwì pointed out after a thoughtful pause.
“That is true.... If you dream to rule a people, then you should be prepared to serve a wizard–”
“Serve a wizard?” Eléwì’s eyes bulged with excitement.
“Yes, if it pleases you to rule a people,” Amòye said. “Wisdom is not enough.”
“Wizards are evil men! They kill for pleasure!,” Eléwì exclaimed, rising to his feet. “I can’t serve a wizard, my lord. It is risky to do so.”
“Sit down,” Amòye said quietly. He smiled lightly as Eléwì took his seat. “I know of a white wizard, Eléwì...”
“A white wizard? What difference does that make, my lord?”
“A white wizard uses his powers to help mankind. He is a good man,” Amòye explained. “I know of Àjàká, the white wizard. I have met him once many years back.... I heard that he now lives in Ìwéré.”
“Where is Ìwéré, my lord?,” Eléwì asked, getting more excited.
“From here nine days’ journey will take you there. Maybe you are on course to realise your dream.... Now get up, go inside and gather your things.”
Eléwì stared without uttering a word. He did not understand what Amòye was asking him to do.
“I am asking you to prepare for a long journey to Ìwéré,” Amòye said aloud, breaking the silence.
“Why the haste, my lord?”
“Death does not spare a wizard! Àjàká can only help you when he is alive... Go
quickly and find him before it is too late,” Amòye ordered impatiently.
Eléwì rose hurriedly to his feet and dashed into the house without looking back. He ran through the rooms, fetched his few belongings and later joined the sage in the orchard. Standing, his load on his head, he vowed to live by the sage’s teachings.
“I hope that some day you will rise and lead a people,” Amóye said, his voice now breaking with emotion. “Go now and seek Àjàká in Ìwéré. And, mind you, if it is your destiny to rule a people, then I charge you to treat your people as you will yourself.”
“You have taught me well enough, my lord. Now I can choose between good and evil. I shall resent all vices and embrace good conduct.... I give you my word,” Eléwì said and turned to go. “I’ll always remember my days in Ayégún.”

Comments

Most Popular Post

{LYRICS ZONE} ••• MAYORKUN – TONIGHT (NONSO AMADI COVER) LYRICS

{NEWS ZONE}~ Demolition Of Ayefele’s Music House Divides Oyo Government

{CRIME ZONE}~ Police Gun Down Armed Robbers Who Raided Bank In Edo Yesterday (Graphic Photos)

{NEWS ZONE}~ Demolition: So Ayefele Should Break The Law Because His Legs Hurt? – Ajimobi.. {Photos}

{STORY SERIES}••• THE WHITE WIZARD PART 1